2021 We the Students Essay Contest
The 2021 We the Students Essay Contest is now CLOSED! Please stay tuned for our winners.
Essay Prompt: What is the relationship between Equality and Justice?
Answering this question requires considering each of these principles and analyzing the relationship between them.
To truly explore this question in an essay that is between 500 -800 words, you’ll need to go beyond "dictionary definitions," and express your understanding and reasoning about the connection between these two principles. This reasoning involves a combination of observation, experience, and some pretty "big ideas." What does it take to understand them? To build toward and maintain them? To see them with regard to each other? Why is this relationship important?
We encourage you to bring emotion, creativity, specific examples, and well-researched facts into what you write. A good essay will demonstrate how equality and justice are not just abstract ideas but are part of the actions and choices of people every day.
We genuinely want to know how you would answer the question – what is the relationship between Equality and Justice?
Deadline for entry is April 15, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. PT.
Congratulations to the Winners of the 2020 We the Students Essay Contest!
2020 Essay Prompt: What does civil discourse mean to you?
Grand Prize: Derek Jiang
Stephen F. Austin High School
Sugar Land, Texas
Read Derek's essay here.
- Traci Kaninberg, Assumption High School, Louisville, Kentucky
- Maria Cheriyan, Detroit Country Day School, Beverly Hills, Michigan
- Mika Poelma, Kadena High School, Kadena Air Base, Okinawa City, Japan
- Danielle Zhang, Ladue Horton Watkins High School, St. Louis, Missouri
- Marisa Gibbons, Science Hill High School, Johnson City, Tennessee
- Ria Jain, International Leadership of Texas, Keller-Saginaw High School, Fort Worth, Texas
- Keshav Patel, Canton Preparatory High School, Canton, Michigan
- Grace Rose, Brunswick High School, Brunswick Maryland
- Martina Shelor, Bethlehem Catholic High School, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
- Christina Homer, Arcadia High School, Arcadia, California
- Rose Weathers, Harriton High School, Rosemont, Pennsylvania
- Iycis Smith, The Meadows School, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Natalie Krahulik, Penn Manor High School, Millersville, Pennsylvania
- 1st Place: $7,500
- Runners Up: 5 prizes at $1,500 each
- Honorable Mentions: 10 prizes at $500 each