Handout D: Opinion Double-Check
Directions: Now that you have done more reading and study, rate your agreement with each statement again. Then, answer the question that follows.
- I understand the principle of “equal justice/protection under the law.”
- When judging how well a country exemplifies the principle of equality under law, it should be judged against an ideal.
- When judging how well a country exemplifies the principle of equality under law, it should be judged against how well other countries do so.
- Since all people are created equal, all people should have equal outcomes.
- “Equal protection of the law” means treating everyone the same.
- “Equal protection of the law” means treating everyone differently based on their unique circumstances.
Compare your responses from the first time you completed the survey to the second time, and answer the following questions.
- Identify one statement for which your response changed from the first to the second time you completed this survey.
- For the statement you identified above, explain what textual evidence caused you to change response, based on the documents and court cases you studied in this lesson.
- If none of your responses changed, explain why. Include references to the documents you studied in this lesson.