Information for Students
Who is eligible to attend Constitutional Academy?
Current high school students who are graduating in 2018 or who will be going into their sophomore, junior, or senior year in the 2018-2019 school year are eligible to attend Constitutional Academy during the summer of 2018. Those entering their freshman year in the 2018-2019 school are also welcome to apply. Preference is given to older students, but a strong candidate will still be considered.
When is my application due?
Applications must be received by May 1st, 2018 in order to be considered. Apply early as space is limited, and applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
What are the requirements to be accepted to Constitutional Academy?
- Students must be a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior in the 2017-2018 school year, or a freshman in the 2018-2019 school year.
- Students who apply should be interested in government, civics, public policy, journalism, economics, or constitutional principles.
- Students should be academically oriented as the program will consist of lecture, discussion, and activities that are geared toward high-achieving high school students.
- Students should be prepared to participate in deep, critical discussions on key issues facing society in a mature and thoughtful manner.
What are the costs for the Academy?
$2000. This covers the costs of meals, lodging, site visits, and programming covered by the Bill of Rights Institute. Both full and partial scholarships are available. Please contact academysharedmailbox@
Should I book a flight as soon as I apply?
Please wait to book a flight until you receive an acceptance letter from the Bill of Rights Institute with further directions.
How will I be transported in and around Washington, D.C.?
You will be transported between venues on charter buses. Chaperones will accompany you on the bus.
What should I bring with me?
- Bring professional clothes, business casual clothes, and casual clothes with you to the Academy. Visits to Capitol Hill and the Newseum will require professional attire.
- You will receive specific information on what to wear for each day upon acceptance.
- Comfortable shoes are a must!
- A laptop computer or tablet is highly recommended. Students find them very useful when completing projects!
- Notebooks, pens, pencils, highlighters, and other clerical items are suggested.
- Any reading materials we have provided to you should be brought with you. We will remind you what items you will need for each session or day.
- Do remember that our program continues no matter what the weather – Washington is known for being extremely hot and humid in July.
Who should I contact if I have questions about Constitutional Academy?
Please feel free to contact Laura Vlk, Program Manager for Constitutional Academy, at academysharedmailbox@